Friday, August 28, 2009

Visit from the Public Health Nurse

Yesteday (Thursday), a Public Health Nurse came to the house for a short visit. Mom told me that when after she gave birth to me 30+ years ago in Vancouver, she also got a visit from the Public Health Nurse.

I was very excited about this visit. The nurse came to the house at 11am, and we chatted for a bit about my post operation condition, my emotions and my energy level. Then we weighed Baby Bethany.
1/ Post operation condition: EXCELLENT! With all the yummy food and soup mom made, I think I don't need 4 weeks to recover completely. Probably three weeks will do the work!
2/ My emotions: Other than the major meltdown last week at the hospital (when I noticed that Bethany had lost 9.02% of her birth weight by day 3 and that she was not feeding properly on my breast), I was doing fine this week. I chatted with my elder sister twice in the past week, and she gave me a lot of words of encouragement. Dad calls everyday to make sure Bethany and I are doing ok. With mom here with us, this really makes a great difference.
3/ Energy level: Other than only getting 3 hours of sleep every night (1.5 hr from 11:30 to 1am and than 1.5 hr from 2:30am to 4am), it is not too bad. From time to time, I get power-afternoon naps for an hour. During the first few days, I was totally exhausted, but as week 2 is nearing the end, I find that sleeping for only 3 hrs a night is tough, but manageable.
4/ Baby Bethany: She got weighed yesterday by the nurse -- 7lb 1.5oz!!!! Her birth weight was 6lb 15oz and she lost 9.02% by day 3. She put back 28 grams last friday when we took her to her first doctor's visit. The doctor ordered us to "beef her up". After a week of "beefing her up"... she now weighs 7lb 1.5oz. According to the nurse, it usually takes two weeks for a baby to go back to her birthweight, and it only took our little Bethany 10 days to go back to her birth weight plus a bit more! Though I am a first-time mom, and pumping is hard, watching her little chin getting rounder and rounder day by day, all the hard work really pays off! :-)

The nurse stayed for 1/2 hr and she left me with an information packet which it is super useful!

No comments: