Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Our Future Plan...to move or not to move

I have always wanted to move back home. Note, home is always in Vancouver! Back in the days I was a single gal, living in my condo apartment overlooking Dow's Lake, I always referred the place as my apartment, but never once, did I address it as my home. To me, home is where the heart is, and heart is where my family is, so therefore, home is in Vancouver.

When Joe and I found out I was pregnant, I told Joe about my desire to move back home. We do not have families here in Ottawa, and sadly enough, our support network is also very limited. Being a first time mom, I worry about anything and everything, and I just worry that when something goes wrong, we will have no one to turn to, and this very thought made me wake up in cold sweat at countless nights. At the same time, I want Bethany to grow up with at least one set of grand-parents around her. Bethany is the first grand-child in my family, and perhaps I am selfish that I really want Bethany to be close to her Gong Gong and Pao Pao.

Joe always says that I am a worrier (yes a worrier not a warrior!) and his motto is, "Everything will be fine." When we first discussed about the possibility of moving to Vancouver, he was not too keen on it. However, having a baby in our lives have changed our persepctives. Joe has changed from "I will not entertain the idea of moving to Vancouver as this will make me further away from my mom" to "I am slowly warming up to the idea."

To my surprise, Joe came home last night and told me he spoke to the HR manager at work and he asked about the possibilities of getting a job at a Costco warehouse etc. Joe is also planning to have lunch with a newly appointed warehouse manager (he is formerly an AGMM in our office, so he knows a lot about transitioning from the buying office to the warehouse). I was surprised when Joe told me about this, and I was like, "Wow, why is there a sudden change of heart?" and he simply replied," I am simply exploring different possibilities and I am slowly warming up to the idea of moving to the west coast!" Wow! I can't believe this was the response I got from my husband... They all say pregnancy and motherhood can soften a woman's heart. In our case, entering parenthood has also changed Joe's perspectives! My husband had just made my day!

Our lives have changed a lot (well, more like up-side down) since Bethany came home. I think Joe has slowly come to the realization that raising a child on our own, with no families around, can be challenging. We are very fortunate that my mom is here to help us out during the past 7 weeks, and with the continuous effort of all parties, baby Bethany has slowly gotten into a daily routine which I am keeping my fingers super tight that she will stick to this routine so mommy and daddy can get some sleep!

I am keeping my fingers crossed that one day in the near future, opportunities of moving to the West Coast will come knocking on our door, and our family of 4 will be able to move back to the "Beautiful British Columbia". Until then, I put everything in God's capable hands and I am sure He will lead us to the correct path when the time comes!

Until then... I will start looking for houses in Vancouver between feeding Bethany and changing her diapers! :-0

No comments: