Thursday, September 17, 2009

Bethany is 30-day old!


I should have written this blog entry yesterday...

Bethany was 30 days old yesterday! In the Chinese Culture, this warrants a huge celebration: giving out red eggs to families members and friends.
co
I did google the meaning of red eggs:
"30 days after a baby is born, a red egg party must be thrown. To formally welcome the little one to life, its new home. Eggs, symbolizing fertility are boiled hard, then dyed red, for good luck will surely be in the child's charge."

As Bethany is half Chinese, I feel that it is important to carry out this ritual. Mom and I made a batch of dyed red eggs on Tuesday, and I then each of the eggs in a little bag, tied with a purple ribbon. Joe brought them to work on Wednesday and gave them out to some coworkers.

Another celebration of a child's 30-day old is the 30-day old banquet. Since my dad won't be arriving till later tonight, we have decided to have this dinner on Sunday Sept 20. Virginia, Annette and Barry, godmothers and godfather of Bethany will also be attending this special dinner gathering.


No comments: