Saturday, July 18, 2009

Week 34 -- Friday July 17, 2009

Week 34 -- Friday July 17, 2009

I woke up at 3am! Yes 3am!!! I have been having a lot of braxton hicks lately and they have been getting pretty strong. Usually, they go away when I switch position (from lying on the right side to lying on the left side, or simply get up a walk around in the room a bit then lay down again!) This morning, I tried everything I could possibily think of and it did not go away.

At 3:20am I finally gave up and got out of the bed, while Joe was snoring away and Bee Bee was happily curled up into a ball and slept right next to Mr. Teddy Bear!

I tip-toed to the basement and logged onto the PC and started reading up on cloth diapers. Joe and I had settled for disposable diapers since the begining, and then one day (about three weeks ago), we went to Chiquita Baby and noticed that they have a one-week cloth diaper trial program and Joe causually mentioned that we should give it a try. Being the queen of research, and with all the extra time in my hands now, I decided to google cloth diaper. Once I got onto the web and started looking, I was overwhelmed by all the choices out there. I suddenly got myself revolved around vocabularies like AIO, pocket diaper, hemp insert, wet bag, diaper pail, chinese prefolds!!!

The reasons why Joe and I want to give cloth diapering a try is:
1. it costs $3000 minimum on disposable diapers from the day the baby is borned until she is borned, whereas it is only $500 for cloth diapers.
2. babies use cloth diapers do not get diaper rash as frequent as those use diaposable diapers
3. environment / landfill issues. Disposable diapers leave behind an average of 2.7 tons of non-biodegradable waste per child. Isn't this scary!
4. potty training is easier and it will come earlier!

We had stocked up on disposable diapers (new born size 1 pack = 40 diapers, and two Costco boxes of Huggins Size 1/2 (227 diapers each). Our plan is to use disposable diapers (new born size) on Baby Bethany until her umbilical cord falls off (two to four weeks after she is borned). We will only use disposables at nights or when we are out and about (a.k.a. well for the first few months, it means doctor's visits only!)

So yesterday, I went and bought 6 Size Small Fuzi Bunz. In the world of new mommies, Fuzi Bunz comes highly recommended.

From Drop Bo


I have also signed up for a Cloth Diapering 101 Seminar next Saturday so that both Joe and myself will get familiar with all the things we need to start cloth diapering on Baby Bethany!

No comments: