Sunday, November 1, 2009

I am SCARED!

Ok! Darn it! I admit that I am SCARED! SUPER SCARED!

I am sure one of the hottest topic among parents nowadays is the vaccination of H1N1. Bethany is under 6 months old, so she can't get the vaccination. Joe and I have been "classified" as the priority group as we are the caregivers of a child under 6 months old. So I am all for the shot since day 1. The question is WHEN? I have been following the news on H1N1 closely and the line up here in Ottawa is simply beyond insanity. People line up outside the clinic at 3am (while the clinic opens at 8am), only to find out that they got turned away as there are 200 people in line in front of them. I wonder how I can get the wrist-band. I do not mind standing in line in the wee hours of the night, but I can't take Bethany with me, exposing her to the risk of getting infected.

Last Friday,we learned that Jo-Leen, grand-daughter of Bethany's Godmother, was diagnosed with H1N1. She is only a year old. I made the plan of cancelling my coffee date with Marie-Eve, who is a new mom with a two-week-old baby boy. Joe and I also made the decision of cancelling our plan of bringing Bethany over to her god-parents' house on Halloween. Yesterday (Saturday), Joe found out from Madame Vautour that his niece and nephew have also been diagnosed of H1N1. Things went south later the night that the nephew's face turned blue and his mom had to rush him to the hospital. When we found out the news this morning, I was, as a mom, really shocked. H1N1 infection is no longer far-fetched, and it has already attacked people we know.

This is definitely a horrifying experience for parents with new borns under 6 months of age. Other than keeping her at home, and nagging Joe to follow the 20 seconds rule in hand washing when he comes home everyday... I can only pray to make sure Bethany, Joe and myself stay healthy until we get the vaccinations.


No comments: