Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Raspberry Muffin Cake

When I woke up this morning, I knew I had to bake. There was a huge urge in me that I needed to bake. So I pulled out my prized recipe book and made a raspberry muffin cake.

I got the recipe off the Vancouver Sun seven years ago. I followed the recipe to the letter and made the muffin cake. Mom and worked together to tweak the recipe a bit to make it a better muffin (less sweet) muffin cake.

Blueberry Muffin Cake
makes 12 servings

topping
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tbsp butter, at room temperature

cake
2 tbsp medium dry breadcrumbs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
2 large eggs
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 cup low-fat sour cream
1 tbsp grated orange zest

Topping: in a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, mix well. with pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Cake: Grease a 9 inch square pan. Sprinkle bottom and sides of pan with breadcrumbs.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix well. Stir in blueberries.

In a medium bowl, beat eggs. Beat in orange juice, sour cream, melted butter, orange zest. Add t flour mixture, stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with topping.

Bake at 375 c for 40-45 mins.

Cool for 10 mins.

* I used raspberries instead of blueberries!

Can't wait for Joe to come out and try this muffin cake.

No comments: