Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Diary of a Cooking Challenged... Part VI

Beef Stroganoff is a comfort food for Joe when he was growing up. I came across a recipe of Beef Stroganoff on the weekend. Confession... I bought two brand new cookbooks on saturday. I have tons of cookbooks at home, some are mine, and some are Joe. My favourite are: Crazy Plates, LoonySpoons and Eat Shrink and Be Merry. Last saturday, I picked up BHG's Anyone Can Cook, and BHG's Celebrating the Promise. Needless to say, I spent the entire saturday afternoon exploring the world of culinary.

Beef and Broccoli Stroganoff (adapted from BHG's Anyone Can Cook)

3 cups dried wide egg noodles
2 cups broccoli
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp horseradish
1/2 tsp fresh dill (I used 1 tbsp as I love dill)
1lb top sirloin steak (I used stewing beef)
1 small onion, cut into thin slices
1 clove garlic (I used 3 cloves as I love love love garlic)
4 tsp all purpose flour
1 14-ounce can beef broth (I used 1 cup low fat chicken broth)
3 tbsp tomato paste (I ran out of tomato paste, so I used pasta sauce)
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
* 1/4 cup dried white wine (Half a bottle of white wine had been sitting in the fridge for I do not know how long... time to get rid of it :-)... I had a glass and poured the rest in the frying pan with the beef)

From Food Diary

1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Add broccoli the last 5 mins of cooking. Drain, keep warm.

From Food Diary

2. Stir together source cream, horseradish and dill, cover and chill.

3. Cut stewing beef into bite size. Saute onions and garlic in a skillet with 1 tbsp EVOO, add beef and cook until beef is slight pink in the center. Pour in white wine. Add flour, 1/2 tsp black pepper over meat, stir to coat.

4. Stir in broth, pasta sauce, worcestershire sauce. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for one more min. Divide noodle-broccoli mixture among 4 serving bowls. Spoon beef mixture over noodles. Top with sour cream mixture. Make 4 servings.

From Food Diary
.... Joe was not too crazy about it as the "beef stroganoff" he had when he was a kid was Hamburger Helper's Beef Stroganoff! Seriously???? Hamburger Helper???? Even now, when I thought about it...I still do not know how I should react to his comment. Who would prefer Hamburger Helper's Beef Stroganoff over home-made Beef Stroganoff, made from scratch, from the heart with love?

No comments: