Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mothers of the Bride and Groom... do their outfits need to match?

I am writing this blog with my mouth half frozen (been to the dentist earlier...).

I have been asked a few times what my mom (aka the mother of the bride -- the second most important person on the wedding day) will be wearing on the wedding day. I know it is a tradition that the mother of the bride and the mother of the groom will both get together prior to the wedding so that they can decide on what to wear on the big day. Well...that's the tradition, and being in the 21st century, Joe and I do not feel that it is important to follow this tradition.

My mom is a very talented seamstress and she has been making clothes for my dad, my sisters and me for the last decade at least. As soon as Joe and I were officially engaged, she had bought fabrics from Japan and it did not take her long to decide what to wear. The Mother of the Bride traditionally has a very important role in the wedding, and this is one of the many traditions that Joe and I have decided to follow. Being the second most important person on my wedding day... I simply want my mom to be happy and be proud of her newly-inherited son-in-law (my parents are actually pretty fond of Joe).

People always say that relationship with the in-laws can be very tricky. But I must say that Joe and I are very fortunate that we do not have this problem at all. Joe gets along quite well with my family, and Joe's dad and his wife seem very easy going as well. So unlike some other brides, who give the mothers a list of "approved" clothes and colors, we simply ask the mothers to go creative and wear anything they feel comfortable with. Afterall... it is a day of celebration... so everyone should have fun!

No comments: