Sunday, December 7, 2008

Jigg's Dinner

Every time when Joe and I go grocery at Sorbeys, he would bug me about making salt beef. Two fridays ago, we went grocery shopping after dinner. He was nagging and at the end, I finally gave in.

Saturday morning, I looked at the big tub of navel beef... and I was like, "what was I thinking last night?"

From Drop Box

Joe found this recipe of salt beef on the internet:

2lbs salt beef
1cup yellow split peas
6-8 med potatoes
6 carrots
1 med turnip, peeled and cut in chunks
1 med cabbages, cut into wedges
2 tbsp butter
salt and pepper

soak meat in cold water for 6-8 hrs. Drain meat in large pot. Tie peas in cloth bag, leaving room for expansion, and put bag in pot with beef.

From Drop Box

cover beef and peas with water. heat to boiling, cover and simmer for 2 hours
prepare vegetables
From Drop Box


after meat and peas have cooked for 2 hrs, add vegetables and cook until tender. add cabbage last.
remove peas from bag, place in bowl and mash with butter and pepper to form peas pudding.
remove meat and cut into serving size pieces.
arrange meat and vegetables on platter
serve the peas pudding in a separate bowl





No comments: