Sunday, December 7, 2008

Diary of a Cooking Challenged Part VII


On Golden Prawns (shamelessly adapted from Crazy Plates, but I did make modifications...)

1 tsp canola oil
1/2 cup minced onions and minced red bell pepper (I used yellow bell pepper)
1 clove garlic, minced (I love love garlic... so I put two cloves)
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp ground coriander (I did not have ground coriander, so I used the whole... big mistake!)
1/2 tsp curry powder (I love curry... so I used 1 tbsp)
1 cup light coconut milk
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 pound uncooked jumbo shrimp, peeled
* I added 1 pound giant scallops, chopped into bite sizes (as hubby loves scallops, while I love shrimps)
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (I did not have this, so I skipped this)
4 cups hot cooked brown rice (I used whole wheat fusili)
* 2 tbsp sour cream (I put too much curry powder, so I used sour cream to tone down the curry flavour a bit so hubby would not complain.)

heat oil in a large, no stick saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, yellow pepper and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 mins

Add cumin, coriander, and curry powder. Cook for 1 more minute. Add coconut milk, sugar, and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 2 mins.

Stir in shrimps and scallops. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir until shrimp is cooked through. *Since I put in scallops so I cooked for 6 mins here (recipe calls for 4 mins only)

In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 1 tbsp water. Add to shrimp mixture. Cook until sauce begins to thicken and bubbly. I also added sour cream as well. cook for 1 min.

Pour over pasta.

Hubby loves this pasta dish! :-)



No comments: