Monday, October 27, 2008

Day Off...

Lately, I find that booking time off at work is getting harder and pretty much, next to impossible. My boss has been off work for almost two months due to extensive surgeries. I have been holding down the fort in my department. Honestly it is tough as I have been doing two people's work at the same time, on the other hand, I enjoy the added responsibilities and challenges which in turn, bring forth tons of adrenaline. I have been trying to book a day off since the beginning of September, and every time I submit my form, my boss's boss said to me, "Do you really need a day off? We need you here. Can you push back your vacation a bit?" SERIOUSLY!!!!!! Since when do I need to justify to anyone that I need a day off? SERIOUSLY!!!! (Gosh! I begin to sound like Meridith Grey in Grey's Anatomy...)

After three unsuccessful attempts, I was finally "granted" a day off today! I got up the same time as usual (I do not do very well with sleeping in as my little pooch will try every possible ways she can think of to get me out of the bed. One time, she brought me half of her toys in her toy basket. She transported one by one from the main floor to our bedroom and then strategically placed them one by one, around me, and then waited patiently for me to wake up.) and I drove Joe to work. I then came home, fed Bee Bee and then drove all the way out to Orleans (yup... I know that sounds crazy and it was exactly an hour drive according to the GPS from our home) for my haircut appointment. For the past 15 months, because of the wedding, my hairstylist held off on her creativity when cutting my hair. When this restriction was finally over, and I was just about to explore new hairstyles, Hanna, my talented and gifted hairstylist, had a baby girl and is currently on maternity leave for at least a year. I was like, "SERIOUSLY!!!!" I am a fussy person, and this drives Joe nuts. It took me the longest time to find a hairstylist in Ottawa, and before I met Hanna, I only had haircut twice a year, when I went home to Vancouver to visit my parents. The hairstylist I went to see this morning, came highly recommended from my bride-friends and I decided to drive out to Orleans. I must say that she was worth the drive.

Later on this morning, I decided to surprise Joe with a nice dinner. Joe loves cabbage rolls. Not sure why. Probably it is a comfort food for him. I googled cabbage rolls recipes on the weekends and ended up finding over at least 30 different recipes. I learned that cabbage rolls is actually Hungarian Food! After my haircut appointment, I went grocery shopping and got all the ingredients needed for the cabbage rolls. Funny thing is that I think I am culinary challenged but I LOVE to cook, especially after I got myself a copy of Eat, Shrink and be Merry! I think I can cook, and perhaps one day, I can cook like a chef!

From Food Diary

No comments: