Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Diary of a Cooking Challenged...

I have a feeling that my blog will eventually turn into a food blog.

I started this blog when I was planning the wedding last year, so at that time, it was a wedding blog so all friends and families could get update on the wedding planning. When the wedding was over, I once thought about stop writing the blog as I did not know what to write about... until recently... when I was flipping through Eat Shrink and be Merry... why not turn the blog into a food blog...

So, here I am... sharing with you my newly founded hobby... diary of a cooking challenged.

I am not a good cook... when I first moved out to Ottawa in 2001, my mom came out to Ottawa with me for 4 weeks, just to make sure I had food and clean clothes. For those 22 years living home... I was spoiled. I never had to cook and clean. My only duty was getting good grades at school. Until I decided to move to Ottawa alone, things changed. I relied on my mom to give me a crash course on housekeeping and cooking 101 during those 4 weeks. My poor mom... while I was at home during the day, she stayed at the hotel, writing recipes for me. On the weekend, instead of touring the new city and discovering the city jewels, we stayed at the hotel (luckily the company I worked for got me a fully furnished unit with a kitchenette) and cooked.

4 weeks went by fast, and the night before my mom left, I was lost and sad. I was sad as the time had come for me to say goodbye to my mom, and I was just about to begin a new journey of my own. I was lost as I knew cooking and housekeeping was not my game. My mom started teaching me how to sort laundry (dark vs white), and I asked my mom, "So I sort the laundry into two piles, the dark and the white, and then I put them in the washer... but they will be mixed once they are in the washer... so why waste time sorting them?" My mom sighed and she said, "Well, call me at home next time when you need to do laundry."

For the first two years living by myself in Ottawa, I had accumulated a lot of white tee-shirts that had a stash of pink, orange or blue here and there! At the end of the second year in Ottawa, I had decided not to wear white again. Until this day, it is rare to see a white tee shirt in my closet.

No comments: