Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Ring Pillow


This post is dedicated to my talented, Martha-Stewart-ly mom. She can turn the impossible to beauty, elegance and one of a kind!

15 months ago, when Joe and I first got engaged, a coworker of ours gave us an engagement gift -- a ring pillow. When I opened the gift, I was not quite sure if it was a gag-gift or a real gift. The ring pillow is hideous! Seriously... the ring pillow is in a"fading away" yellow and it looks like it has travelled miles and miles before coming to my hands. I did not really take it seriously, but did make a metal note to buy myself a nice ring pillow, and then stashed it away in the closet in one of the guest bedrooms.

With the wedding planning in full swing, I had completely forgotten about it until two months ago, mom asked me casually if I had bought a ring pillow. I was like, "Darn! I knew I had forgotten something... wait... I thought I got it as a gift and I put it somewhere in the house..." So, one saturday morning, after a big pot of starbucks' breakfast blend, I set out on a mission to find the "ring pillow" in the house. During this search, I also found a bunch of long-lost items. Anyway, I found the ring pillow... when it, once again, made its appearance in front of my eyes, it, once again, reminded me of the reasons why I stashed it away in the first place.

So, I called my mom (for those who do not know... my family live in Vancouver where sushi and dim sum are cheap and yummy! ) and told her the little story about the ring pillow. When I finished the story... she laughed and said, " Put it in a box and mail it to me. I will see if I can do something about it."

A few weeks ago, my mom sent me a picture of the completely revamped ring pillow. When I looked at the picture, I called my mom right away and said, "Are you sure this is THE same pillow I sent you?"... and yes my mom did it!!! Once again, she had done the impossible!!!!

While I am writing this blog, I am kicking myself of not taking a picture of the before / hideous ring pillow... or I would be able to do a before / after picture! After Joe saw the picture... all he could utter was, " Wow! I can't believe this! Your mom did that???" The next question he asked was if it is ok to give the ring pillow as a keepsake to his niece (who is also the flower girl). Unfortunately... Joe honey... the ring pillow is going to stay in the family!!!! I am planning to give it to my sister when she gets married next year! :-)

No comments: