Monday, April 7, 2008

Chinese Wedding Gown -- KWA



Joe and I went to Toronto for the first fitting of the wedding gown! GOSH! MY WEDDING GOWN IS FABULOUS!!!! It is custom made, and Josephine, the gown designer, is super talented and gifted! She put tons of details on the dress, and I had tears in my eyes when I tried it on!

Joe and I managed to go to Pacific Mall to do some, shopping. We bought some wedding stuff that is related to the chinese culture (a double-happiness sign to be posted on the front door, and a chinese tea set for the tea ceremony) We came across a few tiny shops in the mall that sell chinese wedding gowns. And that prompted me to write something on the chinese wedding gowns. When I first explained this to Joe, he was so confused! :-) Well, who says Chinese culture is easy to understand and learn? Joe honey... you have a long way to go! :-)


Chinese wedding dress attire traditionally includes beautiful brocade Qi Pau (Chinese jacket) and Cheongsam. It is a tradition to wear Cheongsam with red dragon & phoenix design at the wedding day. Dragon & Phoenix design symbolizes the balance of male and female power.

Cheongsams gowns are easily recognized for they are a very slim fitting chinese dress that have two side slits for walking. For men, the style is called a Da Gua, featuring a front-closing tunic.

Because of my chinese culture, I feel that it is extremely important to incorporate my culture in the wedding. It is extremely difficult to get a Kwa (see picture attached) in Ottawa / Toronto, so I settled for a Qi Pau. Though Qi Pau is not the "official-offical" chinese wedding dress, but it is a formal chinese dress! I won't be posting the pictures of the Qi Pau-s I bought... as this is going to be a surprise for everyone, including Joe.




No comments: